I had one of those days yesterday...the kind you don't want to repeat. It started out relatively fine, except that Elise just seemed very off, and exceptionally crabby. I had a dentist appointment (4th visit in 3 weeks) to try to figure out why I was having sensitivity on a tooth that was re-filled 3 weeks ago. My dentist is wonderful, but it's such a hassle to keep visiting the office. John was gracious enough to stay home a few hours with Elise, since I didn't know if she was sick or teething & didn't want to get other kids sick. The afternoon was OK. I decided to take Elise out of the house, thinking that maybe she was tired of looking at the same walls - so we headed to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things & the outing seemed to help. Once home again, she was still quite whiny. Well, after attempting to feed her dinner, which she only ate a few bites, we went up to take a bath. John was working late, to make up for his missed hours that morning. After bathing, I was drying Elise off on a towel, and as toddlers frequently are, she was squirming & bumped her mouth on the edge of the bathtub. She cried really hard & I looked at her lip, thinking that she bit down on it - and to my dismay, she had, but worse than that, she also chipped off a portion of her front tooth! After a minute or so, she calmed down & I got her dressed, but I was horrified! I also felt so guilty, because I was right there & still this all happened! I'm also running through all the thoughts that she'll have to live with this chipped front tooth until she's 5 or 6!! I think I shed more tears as this realization hit me - and John came home to find me crying over her as I was blow-drying her hair.
Well, after a nights' rest & a visit this morning to the pediatric dentist - I'm feeling a little better.
He put a coating over the tooth to help with any sensitivity, and said we will monitor it every 3 months & that once she turns 2, he can use medicine in the office to relax her & can put a filling on the tooth to cosmetically make it look whole. This makes me feel much better knowing all our options. He assured me that this happens all the time with kids - but I didn't really want it to happen to my kid!! I know she's healthy & suprisingly, it doesn't seem to bother her. So, when you all get our Christmas card this year - it'll be one to remember all those bumps in life that take you unexpectedly. Here's a quick picture I snapped of Elise and her chipped tooth. As John told her last night, no matter the shape of her tooth, we still love her & think she's a beautiful little girl.

3 comments:
John is right. She is still a beautiful little girl... tooth and all.
Oh my poor babies. So sad. Elise is still our beautiful, sweet Granddaughter, chipped tooth and all. I should send you the photo of John at age 5, when the car-pool to Kindergarten stopped suddenly, he wasn't seat-belted, and arrived home that day with a chipped tooth. His wonderful smile was still the same. Thankful it wasn't worse.
Hugs,
Oma
I may have told you that I knocked both of my front teeth out when I was 3! I didn't get my permanent ones until 4 years later, and they turned out fine. :) Elise is still a beautiful little girl!
Post a Comment