We are now a quarter of the way through Ariana's first year. She has been starting to give us a little more of a schedule, and for this Mama who likes to plan and have some semblance of order...I am so grateful. Her night sleep is pretty well organized, however, we're still working on the naps. She falls asleep easily - I put her down drowsy, but not fully asleep, and she'll drift off just fine, however, just like clockwork, she will wake up 45 minutes later. I try to sooth her back to sleep without picking her up, but it doesn't always work...so this is where I'm a little baffled. I think Elise had her naps worked out by 3 months, but each child brings their own personality and challenges....this is what I'm learning.
Ariana has been playing more with toys and loves her exersaucer. She is using her hands more to grab and work to get things, and it's fun to watch her concentrate.
 |
| Ariana - 3 months old |
 |
| Sweet Rosebud |
We also have pretty momentus news at our house: Elise has stopped sucking her thumb! We've been talking about it for several months that big girls don't need to suck their thumb anymore, and with the arrival of Ariana, it seemed to have gotten worse. She said she wanted to quit, but she just couldn't help it - her thumb was her comfort and joy and tasted so good. Elise has been a great sleeper as a thumb sucker, too, but it was just time to take the next step after months of coaching.
We ordered a product, Mavala, which our dentist recommended & I "painted" her fingernail on Friday morning. It only took one time in her mouth & we had tears and crying that she had a nasty taste in her mouth. I helped her brush her teeth and tongue & I had her eat a little something to get a better taste, but she was so upset & kept trying to spit out the bad taste, that she threw up twice. Oh, boy~ I hadn't planned for this. The rest of the day, I saw her put her thumb to her lips, but it didn't go in her mouth. That night, she had trouble falling asleep, because she wouldn't put it in her mouth, but here we are on Monday, and she hasn't sucked it since Friday morning. Amazing! We keep telling her we're so proud of her and knew she could do it. She is truly growing up...just another step on this journey.
 |
| Reading a pop-up Narnia book...one of Elise's favorites |
 |
| Story Time! |
 |
| Sisters! |
1 comment:
I had the 45-minute problem with Kendrie for a while until I read that's how long a normal sleep cycle is at that age. If they wake up crying, they are still tired. If they wake up happy, they are done. Don't soothe them, they will likely cry it out and fall back asleep within 5-7 minutes for another 45 cycle. After maybe five days of this, Kendrie started sleeping through and took 90 minute naps. It worked for me until she was old enough to stand up in her crib. Then, the game changed again :)
Post a Comment