August 1st. ..every year these summer months fly by faster and faster, but especially this year. This past week we took Ariana to a GI specialist, and he determined that she has a immature digestive system, and it will resolve itself in a few months time. He tested her for an allergy to my milk and dairy products and it came back negative. He also took an x-ray and it didn't show any blockage or abnormalities. That is all good news, but for this sleep-deprived mom the waiting game feels like a slow, painful process. Lord, grant me strength, endurance and grace for this season.
I feel like she is a happy baby & pretty content when she is awake and comfortable, but our biggest challenge right now is her sleeping and soothing to sleep. I have pumped milk for bottles for a 24 hr period to see how many ounces she is eating, so I know she's getting enough to eat; and we've started her on prevacid for her reflux, but she still is not sleeping like the baby we had for the first 4 weeks, when she would nap for 2-4 hours during the day & could go for 5-7 hour stretches at night...we're going backward. As a woman, I feel the need to "talk" this through - so here is my outlet:
Right now she is going to sleep around 8:30-9pm & sleeping until just before 2am; then I am up with her feeding, burping, soothing until 3am; then she will go back down until around 5-5:30am & sometimes 6 or 6:30am; then she is up to eat, burp & is wide awake for the next 1.5 hours & gets sleepy, so I sooth her again & she falls asleep, only to sleep for about 30 mintues. This is not enough of a nap & she's still sleepy, so I leave her in the crib & offer her the paci & she will close her eyes and sleep a bit more or she just gets irritated again will wake up. Sometimes I try soothing again & some days I just get her up with a toy to play with some more & try to sooth to sleep a bit later. I feel like this is the pattern I deal with all day until evening again when she will readily go to sleep for bed. I have resorted to putting her in the swing to sleep & she does seem to like this & will go for a longer stretch, but I feel like this is somewhat of a crutch when I need more than 30-45 minutes. So - we just take a day at a time & I pray over little Ariana that Jesus would sooth her little tummy & give her comfort for He is the giver of life. I keep reading in my book, "Healthy sleep habits, Happy baby" to try suggestions to make sure she can learn to sooth herself to sleep & develop good habits, but I also feel like she's dealing with the reflux & gassy tummy, and I have a hard time letting her 'cry-it-out' when I know she's uncomfortable. We just take a day at a time & pray for new mercies every morning.
Here are a few snapshots of our smiley, happy baby.


1 comment:
Stacie, sorry that your little baby girl is in so much pain. Just a little something to try...when "soothing" her you could hold her on her tummy across your forearm (held across your abdoman) so that her head is by your elbow and her legs are on either side of your wrists. That helped with Gretchen. Good luck. Fussy babies are so hard but you can do it! This stage won't last forever and you will get my main prayers now!!!!
Post a Comment